How to get into a good guild: (This works for almost any game)
- Play the game. Seriously. Don’t try to pick a guild before you play. Its a crap shoot at that point. Continue on to figure out why.
- As you play, group up with people. When you group, be social. Say hello when you enter a group, chat with your groupmates during downtime.
- When you group with someone who you liked grouping with, add them to your friend’s list. This is the important part. You want to build connections. Even if you never join a guild, having a list of good players in your friends list will make your life infinitely easier, especally if they are people you geniunely enjoy playing with.
- Make yourself desirable to good guild. This means read up on your class and what the proper rotation/builds are, keep your gear up to date, carry consumables, be informed of what the fights are. Basically, you should want to be Credit to Team instead of Little Tiny Man. You don’t need to be theorycrafting to try to squeeze out that extra 0.01% dps, in fact its ok if you suck, as long as you’re trying. Its very easy to tell who is trying and who is lazy.
- When you group, look for those guys on your friends list and invite them along. Not only will this create friendships but it’ll if you added them to your friend’s list that means you like playing with them, so it’ll make your grouping experience more fun.
- If you do this enough and are not guilded, I will garentee you someone will invite you to their guild. I would recommend trying to get to know other people in the guild before you join, and do a little diligence on them first. Check their guild forums or the server forums to see if they have a bad reputation of problem players. You’ll probably get someone who invites you to their guild after the first time grouping with them even if you haven’t said a word. This should be considered no better then people who spam local.
Above all else remember this: The easier it is for you to get in, the easier it is for an asshole to get in, and the easier it is for assholes to get in, the more assholes will be in.
Spam invites or invites anyone from local: Avoid these guilds, they have no sense of identity and no sense of cohesion or loyality.
Nice to you and other guildies: but treats everyone else like shit: These are at best elitist assholes and at worst complete assholes with enough restrain to organize. Ultimately these people only help the guild to help themselves.
The guildmaster only logs in for 2 hours a week: There is nothing wrong with enjoying a game casually, but you shouldn’t be running a guild if your not willing to put the time in.
The leadership is constantly bickering: Its probably best to avoid this situation. Every guild has a certain level of drama but it should be the problem players vrs the leadership rather then the leadership itself fighting. If that happens a split is almost inevitable.
If it seems like a guild is trying to take advantage of you, they probably are: In other words if they expect you to farm for 3 hours to create stims to give them to the guild and threaten to punish you in some way if you don’t, it’s time to hit the road. If they expect you to pay credits as an entry fee or dues, don’t join. Of course, combing wealth for something mutually beneficial is different. If the guild expects you to chip in some credits so they can provide you and everyone else for stims cheaply, thats entirely different.